Tuesday, November 17, 2009

"A Good Teacher...helps students climb toward success!"

After looking at some recorded characteristics of the students in my school on infoworks, I took about 15 minutes and walked around the school peeking into each individual classroom. I came to see that the recorded characteristics were accurate according to my observations. Within the school 59% of the students are Hispanic, 31% African American, 6% white, 3% Asian, and 1% Native American. These characteristics reflect a particular characteristic within the school. There are bilingual classes where Spanish is spoken for the entire school day. This is not unusual to see with the amount of diversity among the students. The bilingual classes as well as the location of the school reflect the diversity among the teachers and teacher assistants within the school as well.
Another statistic I observed was the number of students who are eligible for a free or reduced lunch. I also observed that during the morning a snack tray is brought to each classroom for the students. Each child receives a small cup of fruit or vegetables. Just from observation, I would conclude that something could be said about the economic factors of the student’s families within the school. Goldenberg would also make this connection after looking at the number of English Language Learners in the school. After looking over assessment statistics and the percentage of students who are where they should be when it comes to academics, I would agree with Goldenberg in saying that the poor school outcomes are not just because of language restrictions, but also from socioeconomic factors.
I work with a group of students that speak English to me, but when conversing with their peers they sometimes speak Spanish. For example, I was asking all of the children what their favorite food was and a little girl was trying to tell me a particular form of potatoes. She turned to her friend, speaking to her in Spanish, and asked how to say it in English. I often see this confusion when I may ask them a question. Goldenberg would say to find a connection with their native language. He would ask, what could be transferred to instill that grammatical rule to their second language?
We as teachers need to stop the disruption from happening, as Delpit would agree, and assist students in developing their native language. This school does just that with the bilingual classes. Students that may know English, but still run into problems with grammar or pronunciation, need to be informed of those connections with their native language. Delpit would agree that by informing students of these transfers, will further inform them of what is expected giving them the codes of power. Knowing what is expected will then help them succeed in the mainstream of society.
Goldenberg and Delpit have forced me to look at my students differently and gave me the ability to help them further. That is in fact what a teacher does isn’t it? Teachers search for ways using the resources they have to help their students succeed!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Samm,

    I agree with what you said about Goldenberg's and Delpit's views. I believe we tutor at the same school, and I have also noticed how bilingual it is, as well. One of the first aspects I noticed about the school was that most of the signs or posters on the walls were in English and Spanish. I have also noticed many teachers speaking to their students and Spanish and I have witnessed specific classrooms that are designated as bilingual ones.

    After reading Goldenberg's article about teaching English language learners, I realized what impact such classrooms may actually have for students. I was recently speaking with someone about how my school has several classrooms designated as bilingual, in which they speak Spanish to the students. My friend remarked that it was not a very good idea, for the students need to be taught English in order to survive and succeed in this society. Until recently I might have just agreed with this, but after reading Goldenberg and Delpit, I can see the benefit of a bilingual classroom.

    Goldenberg explains that it may seem counter-intuitive, but teaching children in their native language and helping them develop that language can actually help them when learning English, as well. I probably would never have guessed this, but it makes sense when he explains it. I never realized it, but learning to read, for example, in one's own language can encourage and promote achievement in a second language. Also, certain rules and skills can transfer over from other languages. There is nothing wrong about encouraging students to become bilingual, for doing so promotes diversity and makes for a more successful and well rounded child.

    As Delpit explains in "The Silenced Dialogue," it is also imperative for students to maintain their own heritage and culture. There are certain codes and a culture of power that students should be taught in order to be successful, and have any hopes of changing the system. However, it would be a form of cultural genocide to force students to rid themselves of their culture, customs, traditions, and what it is that truly makes them who they are.

    It is important as educators to foster such ideas and encourage students to maintain who they are as they go through life. Teachers act as role models and can have a profound influence on a child. We should utilize this power to bring out the good in every student.

    Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sammantha, I enjoyed reading your blog very much for many reasons. When i was looking at info works for my elementary school the results seemed to be almost the same. The biggest percentage of students i have in my elementary school are hispanic as well and basically the same percentage with the white children as well. When i checked out info works i did the same thing. I then went into my elementary school and took a look around to see if info works was right. I thought it was interesting that you had billengual classrooms because in my elementary school we dont have that. My school is only an annex and just has kindergarton and first grade. I wish my elementary school had ESL classrooms because i would love to sit and observe in the classroom. I would also agree with you on Goldenberg and how he said poor school outcomes are not just because of language restrictions, but also from socioeconomic factors. Also in your blog when you were talking about how the children can understand and speak english but have a tough time with some of the words they are trying to pronounce. The same thing with my children at my elementary school. The other students help them out if they cant think of the word in english another child will help them out considering they are in the same position. Lastly, when you were talking about the snacks they recieve at the school, reminded me of the snacks my children recieve at the school as well. Thinking back to elementary school we just had to bring our own snacks and didnt get snacks brought to our classroom. I thought it was interesting the first time i went into the classroom and saw they got their own snack which relates back to Golenberg as well. I really liked reading your blog and cant wait to read more about your experiences!

    ReplyDelete