Monday, November 30, 2009

It may be the end...but it's also the beginning!

The experiences that I’ve had in the past couple of months have taught me so much about the teacher that I want to be in the future. I’ve learned that there are specific qualities and principles that you want to teach your students including honesty, respect, and politeness, just to name a few. As teachers we are the ones who spend the majority of a day with a child. It is in our own hands whether or not we make in impact on the child’s education.
There were many eye openers as I went through the day in the school. One of the biggest ones being, how important it is to have control over your class. Immediately after walking into a classroom, I could tell if the teacher had control or if the students walked all over them. I do believe that it is possible to be the nicest, sweetest teacher in the world and still have limitations and strict rules within your classroom. We need to remember that kids want limits. They thrive on discipline, and they enjoy when they are praised for good behavior or doing a good deed. And as a teacher you will also be happier if you have a well organized classroom.
When I have my own classroom, I want to be that teacher that every parent is requesting for their child. I want to have that connection with each individual family as well as the student. I want communication to be open in case any difficulties or questions do arise. I want the parents to feel comfortable enough to come into the class and help out. I want visitor to also feel welcome in my class. In the specific class that I help with the teacher is asking the students questions about their siblings. I thought it was amazing for her to be able to make that connection with them and to make them realize that she wants to be a part of their life and she wants to help them.
“Your students are so polite!” This is what I want other coworkers to say when they see a student of mine passing in the hall. It was incredible…I was walking down the hall towards the reading room. To get there I had to walk up a long hallway of stairs and through a double door. I was all the way at the bottom when I noticed that the little boy at the top stopped and held the door open for me while his friends kept walking. I couldn’t help but to smile. I want my students to be like that little boy.
One thing I would emphasize within my classroom is the independence of my students. I believe ownership is very important at a young age. It teaches responsibility and gives each student something that is solely their own. It’s hard enough that students in Kindergarten need to share tables to do their work. I think having their own arts and crafts and writing tools will give them even a little sense of ownership (not to mention it cuts back on germs!!). Along with ownership I also think that everyone deserves to feel special sometime, especially when they may not be well off at home. The one thing to make every student feel special is to celebrate each one’s birthday. It is another opportunity to let them know that you really care!
I am going to go above and beyond for my students and their families. I will help them enjoy learning and help them in their journey to success.
Always remember, a teacher’s job is never done…

3 comments:

  1. Hi Samm,

    I enjoyed reading about what you want your classroom to be like when you become a teacher, for I agree with everything you said. I really enjoyed working in a particular classroom and observing one of the teachers when I went to tutor. I admired the way she handled her class and the way she taught her students. She seems like such a sweet and kind person, and a wonderful teacher. Despite her kindness, though, she was always able to maintain order in her classroom and discipline the children when it was needed.

    I agree with you when you said that one of the most important aspects as a teacher is the ability to maintain control and discipline within the classroom. One of my worries about teaching is that I will not be able to gain the respect from my students that I need in order to maintain control in the classroom.

    I think that the way to retain such control and discipline in the class, is to gain a mutual respect with the students. I am reminded of what Brown speaks of in her work "In the Bad or Good of Girlhood." The stories she told of the two different groups of girls illustrate that, despite social or economic factors, all students are looking for respect from their teacher. All students are different and thus they all learn, grow, and think in different ways, but they all need to feel like their teacher is there for them. I think it is important for teachers to try to figure out what it is that each of their students needs and expects from them, if a mutual respect is to develop.

    I also agree with you that I would like to instill in my children the importance of respect and manners to others. It is funny that you tell that story of the little boy holding the door for you, because that is something that I have noticed about the children at our school. It has happened to me countless times. Every time that I am walking through the hallways, if there are students around, I have noticed that they will always hold the door open for me. Even if I am all the way at the opposite end of the hallway, which has been the case numerous times, I have always had children waiting at the doors, ready to let me through. This never ceased to amaze me. I think it is wonderful that young children have such manners and courtesy. I know many adults and people in college who do not show the same courtesy to others. It has always enlightened me and filled me with hope to see how kind children can be. I hope that I can be responsible for such respect from my students when I become a teacher.

    Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Samm and Kayla,

    This is the type of exchange I was hoping for! Samm indicates her hopes for the type of teacher she wants to be; Kayla connects a theoretical base for Samm's aspirations.

    Dr. August

    ReplyDelete